Monday, April 29, 2013

Mixing Vinegar and Castile Soap - No?

This week's post is going to a be a little boring, but it has to be done. Here's a quick disclaimer.

After doing some more research there are many green cleaning recipes that recommend never to mix vinegar and castile soap, as one is an acid and the other a base.  As I cautioned earlier in the post 'All Purpose Cleaner', mixing the two together with cold water causes curdling, however this may occur even if stored in cold temperatures.  See the picture below.  Not good!


So what does this mean? Don't use the all purpose cleaner?  Does it not clean?

For me not at all.  Read on!

There are a couple of options you can take with the castile soap and vinegar.  The first is to clean with water castile soap mixture and then wipe with vinegar afterwards, however for myself and a busy schedule I need a quick cleaning solution, which means relying on a good all purpose cleaner.  Thus the second option, and one I choose to stick with is to use the all purpose cleaner.  Again, when I make my mixture, I make sure the water is warm and I store it under the kitchen or bathroom sinks at room temperature.

Doing it this way, I've had no issues using the two together and the cleaner works wonderfully in conjunction with baking soda.  I do also add a generous 10-20 drops of tea tree oil, the little bit of oil helps to mix the cleaner as well .

If you are worried, then go ahead and keep a bottle of vinegar and water mixture (which I keep as well) and some castile soap and water mixture in separate bottles.

OK not to kill this subject to death, but as a final thought, I'm not a chemist (frankly hated chemistry) but I truly LOVE the results I get from the All Purpose Cleaner so please do your own research and make your own judgement.  In the end it HAS to be a better option then all of the toxins in store product cleaners.

No comments:

Post a Comment