Monday, March 25, 2013

Cleaning tip - Stove Top

Today I thought I'd share some stove top cleaning tips.  I have a glass top stove which has always been a little tricky to clean.  I normally use a special glass top cleaner and scraper from Home Depot to clean the stove and have to admit it left my stove super clean, (even removed all the burned spots).  I was a little skeptical to try vinegar and baking soda to clean my stove, but I thought I'd give it a go and am SO impressed with the results.

I'm not sure of the results on other stove tops, but I am certain it will work just as well.  I do recommend purchasing a scraper for glass top stoves as it does an excellent job scraping off burned spots.

Before I share some cleaning tips, here's a shot of my stove.  I went a week without cleaning it so that I could test out my cleaning method, and also ensure there was plenty of burned spots.  Trust me when I say it was pretty grimy!


Steps to clean a glass top stove:

  • Sprinkle baking soda all over the stove and give a thorough soaking of vinegar water mixture or the all purpose cleaner.  
  • Let it soak for 10 min and then using a dishwashing sponge and liquid dishwashing soap (or castile soap if you have that) give your stove top a good scrub.  
  • Without wiping the stove, use the scraper and remove all the hardened spots.
  • Wipe with a wet sponge or j-cloth.
  • You may need to repeat the steps by spraying with another coating of vinegar and again with the scraper clean off any excess spot.

...And here's the after shot following the above steps!  The only con I see is that you may need a little more elbow grease, but it's ok as you're not smelling all the toxic fumes!  (Ignore the scratches, I got that when I initially was using a pot that was damaging my glass element).

Sold yet???

2 comments:

  1. I always use lemon instead of vinegar as it leaves a very fresh smell, unlike vinegar's pungent smell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I have used lemon as well, or follow-ed up with a quick lemon wipe, but sometimes you don't always have that on hand. Also vinegar only smells when it's wet, when vinegar dries on any surface it leaves no smell behind. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete